During heart surgery, a highly trained group works as a team.
- The cardiovascular surgeon heads up the surgery team and performs the key parts of the surgery.
- The assisting surgeons follow the direction of the cardiovascular surgeon.
- The cardiovascular anesthesiologist gives you the medicines that make you sleep during the surgery (called anesthesia) and monitors the ventilator, which breathes for you during surgery.
- The perfusion technologists run the heart-lung machine.
- The cardiovascular nurses are specially trained to assist in heart surgery.